Monday, November 9, 2009

Donut Falls

On Saturday, we decided to take advantage of this beautiful November weather by driving a bit up to Big Cottonwood Canyon and hiking to Donut Falls. It was really fun and so dang pretty. Hayden was a trooper and even hiked half the time by herself. She never once complained about anything! Maybe we have our little adventure/outdoors girl after all!

The beginning of the hike was paved, but once we got to the rough stuff we had to stash the stroller in the bushes and Hayden was on her own!


Hayden has an obsession with rocks, so imagine her delight when our whole hike was full of not just little rocks but BIG rocks she could sit and rest on.


It was really muddy and snowy in some parts of the trail, so we got nice and dirty.
We found 3 caches along our way to Donut falls. Isn't Hayden such a big help?
Our little hiker.
We even saw 3 moose!! Yes, 3!!! I WISH I could have taken a picture of all 3 at the same time, but they were moving too much for me to get a good shot. Awesome!


We made it to our destination.
Of course pictures don't do it justice, but it was so pretty! It's called Donut Falls because at the top the water falls through a hole in a rock that supposedly looks kind of like a donut. Yummy :)

We hiked up around to the top to get a view of the "donut" .

On our way down, Hayden was so exhausted, she passed out on Carl's shoulder. She did soooo well!

It was so much fun and we were wiped out when we got home, but it was worth it. It's fun to get out and explore this beautiful country that we live in. Thank you, November, for being so beautiful so far.

10 comments:

Daysha said...

Ok two things..Yes it is so beautiful there. I can't imagine what it really looks like since it's so pretty in the pictures. MOOSE!! Oh my lands. I would love to have seen them that close. So neat.

JoAnn and Dewey said...

Paul will be so happy to take his little niece on hikes. She does have some of that Owens blood running through her. Isn't like you to go hiking to a place that has donuts in it. It does look beautiful.

Soilsqueezer said...

You went Geocaching? Wow!

tara said...

well done you little trooper you...you did well too, hayden :) ha ha. looks like so much fun! i wish i was there to see the prettiness

Jill said...

Oh my exploding with cuteness! Way to go little Hayden! She's such a good little hiker! Looks like you guys had fun!

Megan said...

that seems like such a fun outing and makes me want to get out and do something fun and active. btw- i can't believe how fast your house is getting done! thats amazing and i'm so excited for you guys.

DJCK incorporated said...

I look at that stream when the logs are across it and think about my dad. I'll bet he could pull an eight inch rainbow trout out of there!

DJCK incorporated said...

I love the BYU stuff. And I just want to eat Hayden.

Nicole Caywood Photography said...

I miss fall! We don't really get much of that here in Houston. It's been in the 70's for the past few weeks, so I can't complain too much. We're doing well. Getting a decent amount of sleep most of the time :)

Stranger said...

Sorry to say this Carl, but the Beauty genes run strong along the maternal line in our family. Little Hayden looks like a blond little JoAnn and a little Devin, and Mom's mom, etc...