Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Our Marriage....so far at least

This is Carl writing and I figured since I was the one that kind of pressured Devin into starting a blog, I might as well write in it as well. I don't know if guys are suppose to write blogs because as Heather puts it, "It is such a Mormon mom thing to do" but I get called a girly man enough on a daily basis why not add one more thing to the homo wagon!
I thought I would write a little on how Devin and I met and eventually got married. This will be from my point of view so expect Devin to come in and add little things that she feels I might have gotten wrong. I got home from my mission in March of 03. I had just served in Puerto Rico and was ready to come home and start dating again. Before my mission I had been in a long, draining, train wreck of a relationship and was ready to come home and date lots of people without any ideas of getting into another relationship. A friend of mine, who had also been one of my companions and was going to be my future roommate, told me about a sky diving trip up to Canada that was dirt cheap and really wanted me to go. I had no real desire to jump from a plane but went for the fun. He told me that his girlfriend and her roommates were coming as well. I thought great now I get to practice my lady skills after putting them on the shelf for the last two years.
Well it just so happened that Devin was one of those roommates. When we tell this story or talk about it, we always laugh because Devin was dressed to ride in a bus for 16 hours (hair pulled back, with a shirt and jeans that I am sure she had to defend several times by explaining that they are "comfortable") and I remember thinking after I met her that I have no chance with someone that much older than I am (Dev is three years older than me). We hung out and I found that this old woman was very easy to talk to and really understood my humor. I remember her laughing a lot and was generally a fun person to be around. We flirted but nothing much more than that. Devin and her friend joked with me after they found out that I was a recent RM, that they were going to break me in. I have to admit to getting a little intimidated.
We arrived in Canada and took our 8 hour long classes and were supposed to jump that day but it began to rain. They sent us off to bed and said we would jump first thing in the morning. There were movies and games that night with the group we were with but I remember just wanting to be around Dev and talk to her. I didn't know what to talk about so I asked for her advice on how to talk to another girl that was on the trip with us. Smooth right? As a side note, I never ended up talking to that girl.
The next morning, we woke to find that we were in the middle of a blizzard and it had snowed almost three feet that night. The power went off and so the group we were with all gathered in the rec room for rousing games of Do You Love Your Neighbor and other crappy Mormon games you play at FHE. The moment in our relationship where I think we both decided that we might like each other happened like this. I was sitting in a corner listening to really crappy music that my buddy had (I mean terrible music, looking through his CDs was like flipping through a list of every band that I think should be taken into a back alley and be kicked in the nuts until they couldn't sing anymore. Savage Garden, Matchbox 20, bands that wear Zoot Suits to their shows! I mean come on!) Anyways, after the nudging from a friend, Dev came over and we started listening to the music together. I think it was there that we both knew that something had to develop. We were inseparable the rest of the trip. Devin even had to scam a guy on a bus to steal the seat next to me. We talked the whole trip and had a great time. We got home and went on a date, and ended up kissing that night which Dev will go on to say was the greatest kiss of all times! It was my first kiss in two years so I am not a good judge but I thought it was pretty great too.
Devin left the next day (and kissed another boy who was her kinda boyfriend at the time. She hates when I tell people that but I think it is her punishment for kissing him) and we started our year and a half long distance relationship. It was hard on both sides but somehow we were able to make it through the stupid girls I dated and the stupid guys that wanted to date Devin. Devin finally moved down to San Diego when I was selling alarm systems down there and that is when we decided that we could never be apart from each other.
We got married in December of 04 and now are both graduated with a baby and a dog. I think our life is great and it is a miracle how everything came together for us to be married. I think it is safe to say that we love life right now, (even though we still live in Utah) and couldn't ask for anything more (except to move out of Utah).
Well that was very long and I am sure the only person that will really read it and love it is Devin but that is the only person I am trying to impress.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THIS is really cute!! Now our blogs are forever linked ;)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

We LOVE Devin!! (I read the whole thing)

Tanner said...

Carl you forgot to mention living with your best friend and mentor, Tanner Elton who encouraged you to go after Devin, and gave you his comfortable pillow to use when you would talk to her for 4 hours each night.

ArizonaLewis said...

Carl is gay. j/k
MOVE TO AZ!! Think of the boy cousin sandwich Hayden would experience. We miss you girls :) and need waaaaay more time together. xoxoxox

The Payne Family said...

Yay Devin and Carl! You guys are awesome and I am so excited that you have started a blog. Now we can be friends forever. We really miss you guys! Can we please be friends again?!?

Nikki said...

I remember that weekend well! You two spent every minute together, and our other two friends were together every minute, so lucky me - I got to spend the weekend with the creepy bus driver! :) I'm glad I was there on such a historic occasion anyway.

MLH said...

Carl! It's been forever!! You have a beautiful family and I'm glad to see you're so happy :)