Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I may be done!

This is Carl and I have been a long fan of basketball since I can remember. I used to love watching the Sonics play even when I was a little kid and have done my best to stay loyal throughout all the crappy years. I play basketball on about three different teams and just about drive my wife crazy as I seem to always sneak off every night to get my fix at the gym. It really makes me happy.

This year just might be the end of me though. So many things are happening in the NBA that just might end my love of watching basketball. First off is the freakin' Sonics moving to Oklahoma City. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!!! This may be the worst thing to ever happen. I don't want to hear about how the city won't fund a new stadium or any of that crap. Bennett has wanted to move this team since he bought it and is getting into trouble for making no effort to keep them in Seattle. This team has been there longer than most teams in the NBA. It have watched as they have traded away all talent in an attempt to tank a season and lower attendance at games. The fact that David Stern the commissioner of the NBA allows this happen is just wrong.

This leads me to my next point. The NBA is full of whiners and babies who can't play basketball without falling down and getting hurt. I have tried to defend this point but I can't anymore. After watching last nights game of the Suns and the "CRY ON EVERY FREAKIN' PLAY AND FALL DOWN AFTER EVERY SHOT" Spurs, I about punched a hole in the wall. I knew that basketball was done after watching that series. If the Spurs win the championship this year, I predict that a VERY large number of basketball fans will move on to other sports. The Hack-a-Shaq thing is ridiculous and cowardly. Spurs fans talk about how great their defense is. What defense? You don't play defense. You found a loop hole that I can't think of anything else to compare it with in any other sport. Yes, Shaq should hit his free throws but he isn't very good at it. Maybe they should make a rule that forces Tony Parker to try and dunk on two people when they foul him away from the ball. Since when in basketball when you grab someone who doesn't have the ball, and then yell at the ref to look at you to see what you are doing, NOT AN INTENTIONAL FOUL!! I thought an intentional foul was when you foul somebody on purpose without any attempt at the ball? Apparently that isn't the case anymore.

This year I was very excited for the playoffs, especially in the West. I was excited to see a rematch of the Suns and Spurs playoff series. Instead, I watched an overweight, past his prime, 7 footer have a free throw shooting competition. I also got to see some of the best acting I have ever seen from Ginobli and Parker. Come on guys everytime you drive to hole you act like a MAC truck just ran you over. I would love to see what the old Pistons would do to a team like the Spurs. I would love to see Lambier lay Bruce Bowen out as he came to intentionally foul him.

This has been an extremely long rant but I really needed to get this off my chest. Please pray for the NBA to make the necessary changes so that I don't have to move to another sport. Baseball actually started to look interesting last night on Sports Center and that really scared me!

4 comments:

JoAnn and Dewey said...

Hey Carl, it's okay-- the Mariners arestill over here and sometimes they aren't half bad and it's fun to watch. Of course you can watch other things in the three hour span of a Mariners game like three episodes of Angel. Everything is going to be alright.

McCain Family said...

I do still need to go to a Mariners game in Safeco and eat some delicious garlic fries that cause you to remain at a ten foot distance from every one around you. You should check and see if there will be any games while we are there.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Don't hold back - tell us how you really feel.

Adam said...

Carl--Agreed on every one of your points. From the Spurs turning the NBA playoffs into the World Cup to the ridiculous reactions of David Stern to the Sonics, I have little desire to ever start watching basketball again. Granted, I'm not as big of a fan as you are. It's really too bad to see things like this kill the league especially with Lebron and Chris Paul becoming lots of fun to watch. At least we have Call of Duty.

Also, we need to go see the Mariners. If we can find a time to be in Seattle at the same time, my family has season tickets, so we could probably score those.