Monday, April 14, 2008

Unconditional Love


I just wanted to share a sweet and simple story Carl and I experienced about a month ago with Hayden. We were experiencing one of those sleepless nights, and I had a headache so I didn't feel like dealing with anything, much less a crying baby, but like the trooper that I am( ha) , I headed out to the crib where Hayden was supposed to be sleeping and tried to console her. On my last nerve, Carl, being the amazing husband that he is, came out to try and console me and started rubbing my shoulders as I held our baby out in front of us. Then it happened. As soon as Carl stood behind me, Hayden's whole demeanor changed and she stopped crying and gave us the cutest smile ever. That's when my heart melted and I discovered what unconditional love really is. I didn't care anymore that I had a headache and was tired. She was worth it. It was a defining moment in my life as a mother.
This leads me to my next thought. Why does it take me having my own child to understand how my mother really feels about me? It would have saved a lot of time in my teens wondering why my mom didn't understand what it was like being a teen. So to all you moms out there, you are amazing. Keep up the great work. I love you, Mom!

1 comment:

jeff (that one kid) said...

Just read this post and I love it. Devin, you are gonna be a great mom, just like our mom. And karl don't worry, you're gonna be a great dad. Not that you guys arent already. Have you ever heard of the circle of life? (Sidenote, i stole that from the lion king). Love you guys.